• Dr. Herpy

Field goal as time expires gives Kenston win over Brush

Published in The News-Herald
September 13, 2013
It took a while — two days — but the payoff could be huge for the Kenston football team.

For Parker Deuley, his field goal with as time expired will last a lifetime.

Deuley’s 34-yard field secured the Bombers’ wild 23-22 nonconference victory over Brush that started Thursday night at Korb Field and finished Friday afternoon.

From Home Page “I couldn’t think,” Deuely said of his game-winning kick. “I was just focused on the two goal posts. If I think too much, I get myself into trouble. I didn’t think about the wind or anything else.”

Lightning and heavy rains postponed the contest with the Arcs leading, 22-15, with 9 minutes, 59 second left in the game, but Coach Josh Wells’ team couldn’t finish to get the win.

“Not getting a first down in (the last) 10 minutes is a problem. We didn’t get it done,” said Wells. “They need to be angry. They need to feel upset. They got knocked down a couple pegs.”

Brush (2-1) looked to have the win in its sights when LaQuan White Jr. intercepted a pass at Kenston’s 45-yard line with just over 3 minutes left, and his team leading 22-18, but the Arcs couldn’t get a first down.

With 2:16 remaining, the Bombers (2-1) took over at their own 24, but were pushed back to the 19 after a penalty. On third-and-11, quarterback Parker Gdula’s pass was incomplete. Instead of going for a first down, Kenston coach Jeff Grubich decided to punt, and the decision paid off handsomely.

With a strong wind at his back, punter Sam Gambatese booted the ball to the Brush 4-yard line. The Arcs ran it three straight times, gaining minus-2 yards. Then, on fourth down, Brush QB Stephen Shorts intentionally scrambled in the end zone before running out of it for a safety.

Still up, 22-20, the Arcs free kicked back, and on the return, Kenston benefitted greatly on a 15-yard penalty by its opponent. On the next play, Gdula passed to Jake Silbermann to the Brush 17. Then, with 3 seconds left on the clock, Deuley booted the ball down the middle.

“This game and this win was about our football program. It wasn’t about me,” said Kenston coach Jeff Grubich.

A week after a big 31-21 win over Chardon, the Bombers can hang its hat on another quality win, one that could pay off down the road when state playoff computer points are tabulated. For now, Grubich and his squad will bask in their dramatic win.

Said Grubich: “The kids won it with their effort.”