CAFÉ MENU: • Pasta w/Meatballs (Marinara or Alfredo) • Broccoli • Garlic Bread
DAILY: Big Daddy’s Pizza • Chicken Sandwiches (Regular and Spicy) • Variety of Wraps (Turkey, Ham, Spicy Chicken, Chicken or Veggie) • Variety of Fruit and Veggies
On Friday, January 17th, Kenston High School and Middle School welcomes Austin Hatch, a motivational speaker. Austin is a two time plane crash survivor and a former college athlete who will share his experience with students. The inspirational message will focus on perseverance, adversity, and overcoming difficult odds in life.
The Pulse Writing Club is meeting after school this Thursday, January 16th, in A113. The Pulse Writing Club is open to all creative writers. See Ms. Joyce in A113 if you should have any questions.
The Bainbridge Library is starting a new program to encourage team building and board games. On Tuesday, January 21st, at 4:00 pm, Come on down to the Bainbridge Public Library after school for free pizza, games, and community. We are right down the street on the corner of Washington and Snyder. Everyone is welcome-no registration required! Just show up, play games, and eat pizza.
A few important reminders:
● Open House is Thursday, January 16th
● Senior Pictures for the Yearbook are due Friday, January 17th. If you took your picture at Vendetti, Ripcho, New Direction, Palmieri, Noah Blue or Slezak Photography, your picture will automatically be sent. See Mr. Fodor in A114 with any questions.
● Monday, January 20th – No School (Martin Luther King Day)
● The Senior Project/Mentorship Assembly is Wednesday, January 29 (revised date) during homeroom for all seniors. Start exploring opportunities now if you’re interested in participating. A list of businesses that have participated in the past is available in the Guidance Office.
● The Cap/Gown/Tassel ordering deadline is Friday, January 24. Orders are currently $29 and after this date it becomes $60. If you plan on borrowing a cap/gown, please let Mrs. Hanzak in Guidance know.
The District Mix-It Up Day is Tuesday, January 21. If you are interested in helping out, sign ups are January 16th & 17th in the Guidance Office.
Calling all writers and artists!!! Want to get your work published in an award winning magazine? Kenston’s nationally ranked literary and art magazine, Janus, wants your writing and art! Please see Mr. Marchesi in room A119 or your Art/English teacher for details. The deadline for submissions is February 3.
A reminder that the Hub is open for anyone after school to get a head start on homework and studying. This also applies to anyone who needs extra help or tutoring through Kenston Academy. Times are Monday-Thursday from 2:20-3:20. No need to sign up, just come in!
Senior portrait specifications for other Photographers: Size—no less than 300 dpi. Pose—only traditional full color portrait, head and shoulders only. Background—must be on the spectrum from cobalt to navy blue (no light blue). No hats, props, hands or inappropriate clothing. Submit your photograph electronically by email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org or on a CD. Under no circumstances will a senior portrait be scanned from a print. Any questions, see Mr. Fodor, room A114.
Scholarships are arriving. Please see Guidance for a complete listing of available scholarships. Just in:
● KHS Academic Boosters, deadline March 20
● KHS Athletic Boosters, deadline March 16
Details and applications in Guidance.
● Geauga Park District Student Mentorship applications are available in Guidance for Seniors who are interested in applying to complete their senior project-mentorship in Geauga Park District. Spaces are limited in each department and applications must be completed and returned by January 27, 2020. Stop by Guidance for more information.
● Chagrin Valley Woman’s Club scholarship application is available in Guidance. $1,500 scholarships will be given this year. Criteria includes financial need, academics, community service and work experience.
Applications must be completed and submitted to Guidance by NOON on Friday, March 6. Students must submit THREE copies of the entire application.
● The Hope and Stanley Adelstein Free Speech Essay Contest is open to all students. There are two categories: 11th and 12th graders and 9th and 10th graders. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention monetary awards. DETAILS IN GUIDANCE. Deadline is March 9, 2020.
● Chagrin Valley Chamber of Commerce is offering a $1,500 scholarship to one senior from Kenston who demonstrates the potential for a successful business career. Deadline is March 15. Stop in Guidance for details.
● The Bainbridge Police Department is offering two $1,500 scholarships. Criteria and applications are in Guidance. Deadline is Friday, April 3, 2020
● A scholarship for JUNIOR student-athletes is available in Guidance. See Guidance for details. This is for the class of 2021 only.
GROUP INFORMATION SESSION AT LEAF RESOURCE CENTER: TODAY @ Lakeland: LEAF will hold a free “Discovering Free Test Prep Resources” Information Session on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. in the LEAF Resource Center located in Lakeland Community College Discover free online test prep options. Learn about building vocabulary, acquire test stress tips, and learn about additional websites for free online practice tests with instant feedback. All LEAF information sessions are free. Reservations are required, capacity is limited. Please register online at https://leaf-ohio.org/calendar/category/resource-center-sessions/ or call LEAF at 440-525-7095 to reserve a seat.
Cleveland Office of FBI hosts a hands-on training for high school students June 23-26. Learn about the mission of the FBI from special agents and intelligence analysts including criminal, cyber threats, terrorism, and administrative functions. Witness a variety of investigative tactics that include gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses and solving cases. Students must be current juniors or seniors with a 3.0 GPA or higher. Applications are in Guidance and space is limited. If interested apply now. Deadline is Jan. 31.
INDIVIDUAL MEETINGS: For individual student and family meetings regarding the college financial aid process, loans, financial aid award letter questions, FAFSA, and scholarships, please contact Renee Morgan, LEAF advisor, at email@example.com to make an appointment. Mrs. Morgan is available at Kenston on Fridays, 8:30-2:15.
Having a bad day? Contemplating self harm? Stressed? Suicidal? The Copeline is there to help you with all of these things. Geauga Copeline is 24 hour assistance for anyone with mental health issues for you or a friend. Check out the signs throughout the building. Remember, it’s okay not to be okay.
Good luck to the following team(s) as they compete tonight:
❖ Girls Basketball @ HOME
❖ Bowling @ HOME
Do you want to earn some extra money? Did you know we have a job board located across from the Guidance Office and on our website? There are employers looking for students like you and are willing to work around your busy schedule! Take a look: Panera Bread, Aladdin’s, Chagrin Falls Pet Clinic, Giant Eagle, Jekyll’s, Marshall’s and more!
LOST & FOUND ITEMS: Please stop by the Main Office if you have lost something or if you have found something that someone has lost. Items not claimed in the Main Office will be moved to the new Storage Bench by the Concession Stand in the Cafeteria.