CAFÉ MENU: • Taco Bar • Black Beans • Corn Salsa
DAILY: Big Daddy’s Pizza • Chicken Sandwiches (Regular and Spicy) • Variety of Wraps (Turkey, Ham, Spicy Chicken, Chicken or Veggie) • Variety of Fruit and Veggies
The Speech and Debate Team competed at Districts on Saturday and have six new qualifiers for States! Congratulations to Hannah Andrews and Maggie Eibler who qualified in Program Oral Interpretation, Micah Greenberg who qualified in Humorous Interpretation, Valerie Brown who qualified in Original Oratory, and Avery Steinberg and Stephen Kale who qualified in Public Forum Debate. They join Anthony Alandt and Kylee Pierson, who pre-qualified for States in Declamation, and Kenston’s Congressional Debate Delegation of Samantha Stephens, Colin Varga, Ryann Gruelich and Devin Cinch. First Alternates to States are Laura Parsons in United States Extemporaneous Speaking and Skyler Cinch in Humorous Interpretation. The team will spend the next two weekends attempting to qualify for Nationals, which will be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico in June.
Attention Juniors & Seniors: The 2020 KHS Fashion Show is set for Thursday, March 12! There are still a few spots remaining. This is the main fundraiser for AfterProm! This year’s theme is Fashion Through the Decades! If you love to dance, dress up, have fun and/or just want to raise money for a fabulous AfterProm get a group together. Additional Forms can be found in the main office. Turn the completed forms into the main office by Friday, February 7th. We want to see you Whip/Nae Nae [pause] Hand Jive [pause] or do the Macarena – the choices are endless! So Twist or Moonwalk over to sign up! All the Single Ladies – put a ring on it first!
There will be a VERY IMPORTANT PACK meeting Wednesday during homeroom.
The American Mathematics Competition will be Wednesday February 5th during Block 2. Students who have taken an Honors Math Course this year are encouraged to attend. Those interested should report directly to the cafeteria at the start of Block 2. Bring pencils, no calculators allowed.
French Club – Will be going to the Paris Room on Monday, February 10 from 5 p.m.- 6 p.m! See Mrs. Wahl for details.
Pulse Writing club is meeting on Thursday, February 6th at 2:25 in A113. All creative writers are welcome. See Ms. Joyce if you have any questions.
Good Luck to Viktoria Pozwick and Maegen Manning as they represent Kenston at the High School Figure Skating Competition being held at the Thornton Park Ice Arena in Shaker Heights this weekend.
KHS Student Band “Close 2 Second” will compete at the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame for the 24th annual Tri-C High School Rock Off on February 8th. The band is competing for a $1,000 cash prize and the opportunity to possibly open for a concert through Live Nation this summer. You can purchase tickets from Jack Kosiorek, Donny Maynard, John Palmer or Dave Rosinski.
A few important reminders:
- Scheduling Meetings for TODAY during first block for:
- Joyce / Yurchisin / Leone / J. Joyce / Novak / Fodor
- Blood Drive Homeroom Assemblies for juniors and seniors is on Monday, February 10 and Wednesday, February, 12.
- Parent-Teacher Conferences/CCP Night – Thursday, February 13th
- Friday, February 14 & Monday, February 17 – No School
- KHS Blood Drive is Thursday, February 27
A reminder that the Hub is open for anyone after school to get a head start on homework and studying. This also applies to anyone who needs extra help or tutoring through Kenston Academy. Times are Monday-Thursday from 2:20-3:20. No need to sign up, just come in!
Senior portrait specifications for other Photographers: Size—no less than 300 dpi. Pose—only traditional full color portrait, head and shoulders only. Background—must be on the spectrum from cobalt to navy blue (no light blue). No hats, props, hands or inappropriate clothing. Submit your photograph electronically by email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org or on a CD. Under no circumstances will a senior portrait be scanned from a print. Any questions, see Mr. Fodor, room A114.
On Friday, February 7th we have three big colleges visiting KHS. At 9:30 Pennsylvania State University, at 10:30 the University of Maryland-College Park and at 11:00 the University of Kentucky. Students need to register using your Naviance account. If you need help registering, see your guidance counselor. Passes will be sent to all who register the morning of the visit.
Attention seniors – please stop in Guidance at your earliest convenience to sign the Senior Matte and signature page for the yearbook.
Scholarships are arriving – Please see Guidance for a complete listing of scholarships:
- Cleveland Hockey Booster Club offers several scholarships for seniors currently playing in hockey leagues. Applications in Guidance, deadline February 29, 2020.
- Chagrin Valley Woman’s Club scholarship application is available in Guidance. $1,500 scholarships will be given this year. Criteria includes financial need, academics, community service and work experience.
Applications must be completed and submitted to Guidance by NOON on Friday, March 6. Students must submit THREE copies of the entire application.
- The Kenston Foundation Scholarship – One application, 35 scholarships available. Deadline March 6 at 3:30 p.m.
- The Hope and Stanley Adelstein Free Speech Essay Contest is open to all students. There are two categories: 11th and 12th graders and 9th and 10th graders. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention monetary awards. DETAILS IN GUIDANCE. Deadline is March 9, 2020.
- MAAK scholarships – March 10
- KHS Athletic Boosters, deadline March 16
- Bainbridge Women’s Club scholarship is here – for both male and female can apply. Applications in Guidance. Deadline March 16.
- Kenston Community Ed – March 17
- KHS Academic Boosters, deadline March 20
- The Bainbridge Police Department is offering two $1,500 scholarships. Criteria and applications are in Guidance. Deadline is Friday, April 3, 2020
- A scholarship for JUNIOR student-athletes is available in Guidance. See Guidance for details. This is for the class of 2021 only. Deadline, May 31, 2020.
Reminder to Sophomores: You can schedule a visit for Auburn Career’s “Welcome Wednesdays” anytime NOW through April. See Mr. Kimpton in Guidance for details.
Attention Seniors: The 7th Grade Camp Counselor applications are now available in Guidance. If selected, this will be your Senior Project Mentorship in May. Applications are in Guidance and watch the deadlines. They are due back in Guidance on Wednesday, February 19th.
INDIVIDUAL MEETINGS: For individual student and family meetings regarding the college financial aid process, loans, financial aid award letter questions, FAFSA, and scholarships, please contact Renee Morgan, LEAF advisor, at email@example.com to make an appointment. Mrs. Morgan is available at Kenston on Fridays, 8:30-2:15.
Having a bad day? Contemplating self harm? Stressed? Suicidal? The Copeline is there to help you with all of these things. Geauga Copeline is 24 hour assistance for anyone with mental health issues for you or a friend. Check out the signs throughout the building. Remember, it’s okay not to be okay.
Good luck to the following team(s) as they compete tonight:
- Boys Basketball
Do you want to earn some extra money? Did you know we have a job board located across from the Guidance Office and on our website? There are employers looking for students like you and are willing to work around your busy schedule! Take a look: Panera Bread, Aladdin’s, Chagrin Falls Pet Clinic, Giant Eagle, Jekyll’s, Marshall’s, Solon Recreation Center and more!
LOST & FOUND ITEMS: Please stop by the Main Office if you have lost something or if you have found something that someone has lost. Items not claimed in the Main Office will be moved to the new Storage Bench by the Concession Stand in the Cafeteria.