CAFÉ MENU: • Teriyaki Chicken • Rice • Vegetable
DAILY: Big Daddy’s Pizza • Chicken Sandwiches (Regular and Spicy) • Variety of Wraps (Turkey, Ham, Spicy Chicken, Chicken or Veggie) • Variety of Fruit and Veggies
On Wednesday, February 26th, there will be a CLOSED HOMEROOM.
Congratulations to the Science Olympiad team for their 18th place finish out of 56 teams last weekend at Mentor. Special shout-out to Anna Ortner, Louis Polien, and Leah Jarmolowicz for placing in Experimental Design and to Robert Sunderhaft and Tucker Eschleman for placing in both Detector Building and Gravity Vehicle. Good luck to the team as they compete at the John Carroll Regional tournament next weekend.
Are you interested in pursuing a career in the Sports & Entertainment Industry?!?! If so, you do not want to miss the Speaker Series event on Wednesday, March 11 during Block 2 and Homeroom. Hear from panelists that work for the Cleveland Browns, IMG Golf, Cleveland Improv, and Event One FX. You can sign up in the Guidance Office and spots are limited to the first 75 students!
Please come support Kenston’s Speech and Debate Team this Thursday at 7pm in the Auburn-Bainbridge Room. The team’s National and State Tournament Qualifiers will be performing their speeches as a dress rehearsal for States, which will be held in Wooster in less than two weeks. Come see what Speech and Debate is all about and support your classmates as they prepare for States!
Do you have a secret talent? Do you want to share it with your friends and peers? Then make sure to audition for this year’s Variety Show! Auditions will be March 5th and 6th and will take place after school. Signups are posted outside of guidance.
Interact will be collecting shoe boxes and used glasses for the month of March to help those in need. Each 1st period class will receive a box for donations starting March 2. Please bring any donations you have to your first period class or directly to A117.
Interact is also collecting gently used or new winter items, bathing suits, flip flops, pajamas, and leggings for local shelters. Please bring all donations to A117. We will be collecting items through April 24 – help someone in need with your donations!
On Monday, March 2nd is the Kickoff to Say Something Week. A video made by KHS Peak Students will be shown to explain the importance of the week along with school events/activities planned for the week.
There will be an informational meeting on March 2 during homeroom in A117 for anyone interested in taking CCP classes at KHS next year. Please see Mrs. Brust if you have any questions.
We are happy to announce that on March 7th a new school dance will be coming to Kenston called Red Rave Against Blood Cancer. On March 7th from 7-10 Braden Hunt and his Team – Bombers For a Breakthrough– will be throwing a school dance to help them raise as much money as possible for a charity close to Braden´s heart The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. At this dance, everyone should wear red in honor of the charity and be prepared for crazy lights and the common RAVE atmosphere! We urge every single Kenston student to attend this great event because we know it will be so much fun! Tickets will soon be sold at lunch for 25 dollars with raffle opportunities of 5,10,15 or 20 additional dollars being offered! In these raffles, you could win anything ranging from a 40$ visa gift card, a senior lot VIP parking spot, Cleveland sports gear/tickets, or AIR POD PROS! Please participate and attend this dance in hopes of pushing Braden and his team one step closer to their $30,000 goal! I hope to see you there because I know I will be!!
A few important reminders:
- February 26th – Camp Counselor Applications Due
- KHS Blood Drive is Thursday, February 27. YOU WILL NEED TO BRING YOUR DRIVER’S LICENSE.
- The deadline for the Queen/King Pageant for the Geauga County Maple Festival is Friday, 2/28/20. Register at maplefestival.com.
- Cleveland Hockey Booster Club Scholarship – deadline February 29, 2020.
- The Chagrin Valley Woman’s Club Scholarship deadline is Friday, March 6th and the Kenston Foundation Scholarship deadline is Monday, March 9th. Both applications need to be turned into Mrs. Hanzak in Guidance and both MUST have THREE (3) copies of the complete application including attachments. Seniors must sign-up for an interview time when they turn in the Kenston Foundation application.
A reminder that the Hub is open for anyone after school to get a head start on homework and studying. This also applies to anyone who needs extra help or tutoring through Kenston Academy. Times are Monday-Thursday from 2:20-3:20. No need to sign up, just come in!
All Junior students will be taking the SAT on Wednesday, March 4 and will be excused from classes for the entire school day with an approximate dismissal of 12:30 p.m.
Scholarships are arriving – Please see Guidance for a complete listing of scholarships:
- Cleveland Hockey Booster Club offers several scholarships for seniors currently playing in hockey leagues. Applications in Guidance, deadline February 29, 2020.
- Chagrin Valley Woman’s Club scholarship application is available in Guidance. $1,500 scholarships will be given this year. Criteria includes financial need, academics, community service and work experience.
Applications must be completed and submitted to Guidance by NOON on Friday, March 6. Students must submit THREE copies of the entire application.
- The Kenston Foundation Scholarship – One application, 35 scholarships available. Deadline March 9 at 3:30 p.m. Students must sign up for an interview time!
- The Hope and Stanley Adelstein Free Speech Essay Contest is open to all students. There are two categories: 11th and 12th graders and 9th and 10th graders. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention monetary awards. DETAILS IN GUIDANCE. Deadline is March 9, 2020.
- MAAK scholarships – March 10
- Chagrin Valley Chamber of Commerce is offering a $1,500 scholarship to one senior from Kenston who demonstrates the potential for a successful business career. Deadline is March 15. Stop in Guidance for details.
- KHS Athletic Boosters, deadline March 16
- Bainbridge Women’s Club scholarship is here – for both male and female can apply. Applications in Guidance. Deadline March 16.
- Kenston Community Ed – March 17
- KHS Academic Boosters, deadline March 20
- Chagrin Valley Rotary Scholarship – Academic & Vocational Scholarships $3,000 each. Deadline March 20
- The Bainbridge Police Department is offering two $1,500 scholarships. Criteria and applications are in Guidance. Deadline is Friday, April 3, 2020
- A scholarship for JUNIOR student-athletes is available in Guidance. See Guidance for details. This is for the class of 2021 only. Deadline, May 31, 2020.
Reminder to Sophomores: You can schedule a visit for Auburn Career’s “Welcome Wednesdays” anytime NOW through April. See Mr. Kimpton in Guidance for details.
Attention sophomores and juniors: Are you interested in learning more about business? A week-long summer business camp will be offered from June 14-19 at Lake Erie College. Participants are eligible to earn 3 college credits through CCP program and Ohio Means Jobs Readiness Seal for high school credit. For more information and applications, see Guidance.
INDIVIDUAL MEETINGS: For individual student and family meetings regarding the college financial aid process, loans, financial aid award letter questions, FAFSA, and scholarships, please contact Renee Morgan, LEAF advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. Mrs. Morgan is available at Kenston on Fridays, 8:30-2:15.
Having a bad day? Contemplating self harm? Stressed? Suicidal? The Copeline is there to help you with all of these things. Geauga Copeline is 24 hour assistance for anyone with mental health issues for you or a friend. Check out the signs throughout the building. Remember, it’s okay not to be okay.
Congratulations to the Gymnastic’s team, for scoring the HIGHEST TEAM SCORE in KENSTON History with a 138.525! Also major shout out to Mary Cowan and Presley Gabram for qualifying to the STATE gymnastics meet this Saturday at Hilliard HS!!!! There will be a drum out on Thursday, February 27th at 2:05 to cheer them on!
Congratulations to Alex Drsek and Jenna Stretch for making it to states for Bowling!!! They will also have a drum out on Thursday, March 5th at 2:05!!! Congratulations ladies!!!
Good luck to the following team(s) as they compete tonight:
- Practices Scheduled
Do you want to earn some extra money? Did you know we have a job board located across from the Guidance Office and on our website? There are employers looking for students like you and are willing to work around your busy schedule! Take a look: Panera Bread, Aladdin’s, Chagrin Falls Pet Clinic, Giant Eagle, Jekyll’s, Marshall’s, Solon Recreation Center and more!
LOST & FOUND ITEMS: Please stop by the Main Office if you have lost something or if you have found something that someone has lost. Items not claimed in the Main Office will be moved to the new Storage Bench by the Concession Stand in the Cafeteria.