• Dr. Herpy

Area athletes, coaches stunned, devastated by OHSAA’s suspension of tournaments

Published in The News-Herald
March 12, 2020
John Kampf

Nick Nastasi was ready to go.

A senior wrestler at Kenston, Nastasi was zipping up his suitcase on March 12, his last preparation before heading to Columbus for his final run at high school wrestling.

A phone call from his brother Anthony interrupted his packing process, telling him of the OHSAA’s announcement that all postseason tournaments were being indefinitely suspended because of concerns over the spreading of the novel coronavirus.

Nastasi didn’t believe his brother. He hung upon him.

Then curiosity got the better of the senior 145-pound wrestler and he looked for himself, logging on to The News-Herald’s twitter @NHPreps.

What he saw made him cry.

Literally.

“I’m in tears,” Nastasi said. “It’s terrible. I have no words to adequately describe how I feel right now. I put so much time, effort and dedication into this sport for one last year. For it to end this way is terrible.”

In his announcement of suspending all tournaments indefinitely, OHSAA executive director Jerry Snodgrass left open the possibility of resuming tournaments at a later date.

“To say cancelled? I don’t want to say that yet,” Snodgrass said in announcing the indefinite suspension of tournament games.

A short while later, Ohio governor Mike DeWine announced that all school in Ohio would go on a mandated three-week spring break beginning March 16, which might be a virtual death sentence to the remainder of the winter sports tournaments.

Visit The News-Herald to read the entire article and view a photo of Nick.