DAILY: Steak-Ums & Fries!
Congratulations to the Students of the Month for January:
● 9th Grade: Griffin Acker and Avery Jakacki
● 10th Grade: Ava Arslanian and Bradley Wichert
● 11th Grade: Zoe Doyle and Claire Roch
● 12th Grade: Autumn Hamby and Kara Kaseda
● Rotary Senior – Nicolas Sanchez
Attention Virtual Students: There will be a textbook exchange set-up on Tuesday, January 19 from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. in the KHS cafeteria for students who were virtual first semester and remaining virtual for second semester. The exchange will be organized by the last name of each teacher. Each teacher will have half of a table in the cafe labeled with his/her name using the plastic placards. Virtual students will pick up textbooks and other supplies from the tables of their four new teachers for second semester AND drop-off all first semester materials to the tables of those teachers.
Attention Seniors: Your senior portrait for the yearbook is due January 31st. Email Mr. Fodor if you have any questions.
No SCHOOL ON MONDAY AND TUESDAY!!!
The 2021 Aerial Photograph IS SUSPENDED UNTIL SPRING OF 2021
Do you want to be able to read announcements just like this one you are hearing right now? If so, see Mr. Novak in The Hub, formerly known as the library.
Is open for business! Stop in the Hub every Monday through Thursday after school from 2:20 to 3:20 to meet with a tutor or just use the space to work. All topics will be covered and no appointment is necessary. Be sure to take advantage of this great resource.
Senior portrait specifications for other Photographers: Size—no less than 300 dpi. Pose—only traditional full color portrait, head and shoulders only. Background—must be on the spectrum from cobalt to navy blue (no light blue). No hats, props, hands or inappropriate clothing. Submit your photograph electronically by email attachment to: email@example.com or on a CD. Under no circumstances will a senior portrait be scanned from a print. Any questions, see Mr. Fodor, room A114. (Photographers commonly used: Ripcho, Venditti, New Direction, Palmieri and Slezak). Deadline is Sunday, January 31, 2021 (*corrected)
Link is on the KHS Website. Yearbook’s start at $75.00
January 14, 2021 – Final Exams/Modified Schedule
January 15, 2021 – Final Exams/Modified Schedule (End of 2nd Quarter/First Semester)
January 18, 2021 – No School MLK Day
January 19, 2021 – No School, Teacher Work Day/Virtual Student Book Exchange
January 20, 2021 – Second Semester Begins
January 27, 2021 – Homeroom #1
January 26, 2021 – Report cards posted to Infinite Campus
January 28, 2021 – KHS Virtual Open House
Attention All Students: Each year, Kenston High School awards students for the President’s Award for Educational Excellence. In order to qualify, students must have a 3.5 cumulative UNWEIGHTED GPA and Community Service hours submitted and on file by March 19, 2021 in order to receive the President’s Award for Educational Excellence Certificate, sponsored by the KHS Academic Boosters. Required Service Hours: Freshman 25 hours; Sophomores 50 hours; Juniors 75 hours and Seniors 100 hours.
Local Scholarships are starting to come in:
● Chagrin Valley Woman’s Club is open to male and female seniors with financial need, academic achievement, community service and/or work experience. Requires essay, letters of recommendation, official transcripts. Applications are in Guidance and on the Guidance webpage. Deadline is noon on March 5, 2021.
● KHS Academic Boosters Scholarship is open to seniors with a 3.5 or higher GPA, ACT of 25 or higher or SAT of 1200 or higher (critical reading and math), and they must be active in a KHS academic club or society. Applications in Guidance. Deadline March 19, 2021.
● Seniors – the Bainbridge Police Department scholarship is available in Guidance. Two $1,500 scholarships will be given. Details on the application. Deadline April 7, 2021.
● Americans of Italian Heritage will award four $2,000 scholarships. At least one parent of the applicant must be of Italian descent. Details and application can be found at www.aihclub.club.com Deadline is May 17, 2021.
● JUNIORS: CALVIN COOLIDGE PRESIDENTIAL FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP. A full-ride scholarship covering tuition, room, board and expenses for four years of undergraduate study for any current JUNIOR students entering college in fall 2022. Complete application online at www.coolidgescholars.org by 5:00 PM EST on January 20, 2021. Current seniors are not eligible to apply.
● MIT offers a summer online science technology and engineering program for current juniors. The deadline to apply is fast approaching. Apply by Feb. 1 at summerapp.mit.edu.
● SENIORS – a local scholarship is now available – The Chagrin Valley Woman’s Club Scholarship – $1,500 for seniors (boy or girl) in area high schools. Criteria includes need, grades, community service and work experience. Requires an essay, two letters of recommendation and an official transcript. Complete application must be submitted in triplicate and turned into the Guidance Office no later than noon on Friday, March 5. Applications are in Guidance and on the Guidance webpage.
● YOUNG AMERICAN CREATIVE PATRIOTIC ART CONTEST SCHOLARSHIP For GRADES 9-12.
Win a top prize of $31,500 scholarship. Rules, eligibility and application are in Guidance or download at https://www.vfw.org/community/youth-and-education/youth-scholarships. Must be returned to Chardon VFW before March 31, 2021.
2021 Reynolds Young Writers Residential Workshop – June 20-27, 2021. Applications begin online 1/6/21-3/7/21. Rising high school juniors and seniors attend this 8-day residential creative writing program at Denison University in Granville (25 miles east of Columbus). For more information visit Reynolds.denison.edu for more information.
Important Cap & Gown Information:
Mail Order: Jostens Service Center, PO Box 512, Owatonna, MN 55060
NOTE: Final Deadline for all Kenston orders is Monday, December 14, 2020.
Orders after this date will incur late charges!!!
● January 14th – Final Exams/Modified Schedule
● January 15th – Final Exams/Modified Schedule
● March 3rd – SAT Test (all 11th grade)
● May 3-14th – AP Testing
College Financial Aid – Lake/Geauga Educational Assistance Foundation (LEAF) is a non-profit organization that provides guidance on college financial aid. Kenston’s LEAF advisor is Mrs. Renee Morgan and is available for virtual student/family meetings regarding the FAFSA, the CSS profile, scholarships, loans and college application and funding information. Mrs. Morgan will host a virtual presentation on financial aid this month for all junior and senior families. Topics will include how your current financial situation can affect selecting a college and a timeline of the financial aid process. A link to the video will be sent in the near future. To arrange an individual appointment during the day or in the evening, please contact Mrs. Morgan directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEAF’s Virtual Information Sessions for the year have been posted on the Guidance webpage – all Kenston families are welcome to register. The upcoming session is:
➤Juniors: Get a Jump-start on College Planning – Wednesday, January 20, 2021 @ 6:30 p.m.
It’s time to plan for the road ahead! Hear about the college application process, timeline, how and when to apply for admissions and financial aid. Learn what questions to ask and who to talk to when visiting a college campus in person or virtually. Strategize how to make the most of virtual visits and online information sessions. Learn how to take a few steps each month between now and next year.
● Bowling with the sweep – Boys 2,509 against Berkshire 1,958
● Girls 1,759 against Berkshire 1,320
● Boys Basketball 57-51 against Twinsburg
Need a job? New positions posted! Check out our JOB BOARD. Employers post jobs here because they want YOU! Go to the KHS website, type in “job board” in the search box, or stop by the job board across from Guidance.
LOST & FOUND ITEMS: Please stop by the Main Office if you have lost something or if you have found something that someone has lost. Items not claimed in a few days will be placed in the Lost & Found bin in the Cafeteria.