DAILY: Taco & Chips w/Fajita Chicken and Corn Salsa!
It’s another Palindrome Day!
The 2021 Aerial Photograph IS SUSPENDED UNTIL SPRING OF 2021
The Senior Lot will be closed to students on Friday, January 29th.
The KHS Science Olympiad team competed in two tournaments over the past two weeks. At the Kenston tournament, Leah Jarmolowicz, Emma Smith, and Viktoriya Taran placed 4th in Experimental Design, and the dream team of Louis Polien and Maddie Worsdall placed 4th in Designer Genes AND 6th in Water Quality. At Solon, Tyler Larkin competed solo in the Fossils event and placed 8th out of 93 teams, including beating out state winners and national qualifiers from around the country. Congratulations to all!
Congratulations to Kenston’s Speech and Debate Team, which competed virtually at Sylvania in Toledo. Reaching semi-finals in Declamation was Eden Truax, while reaching double-octofinals in debate was Delaney Bochenek. The team has one regular season tournament left prior to Districts.
For the second time in the team’s four year history, a Kenston Mock Trial team has qualified for Regionals!! Congrats to Sophia Alandt, Victor Como, Maggie Eibler, Katelin McClure, Chase Tuller, Samantha Stephens and Madeline Worsdall, who will be competing at Regionals on Feb. 19 or 20.
Attention art students!! Janus is still accepting art entries for our annual book. Please submit your work asap! This is for art entries only; the entry deadline for writing submissions has already expired. If you have any questions about submitting, please see Mr. Marchesi in room A119. Art work is due by February 2.
The Diversity Club is hosting a conversation with author and social justice advocate, Trina Paulus. All are welcome to join us in the AB room after school on Wednesday.
The American Mathematics Competition will be held on Thursday February 4th during Block 2. For more information or to pre-register please e-mail Mr. Koltas.
The National Honor Society is hosting a blood drive with the Red Cross at the high school on Thursday, February 25. If you are 16 or above, you may be eligible to donate blood. Please consider participating, as giving blood is a great way to help our community and country and is especially important during the pandemic! More information is coming about how you can sign up. If you have questions contact Amelia Witmer-Rich.
Do you want to be able to read announcements just like this one you are hearing right now? If so, see Mr. Novak in The Hub. Also, you can submit information for the morning announcements to Mrs. Tucholski in the main office. Also, submit team pics at sporting events or business class sales promotions to her as well for the screen in the cafeteria. Items will be posted at her and the administration discretion.
Is open for business! Stop in the Hub every Monday through Thursday after school from 2:20 to 3:20 to meet with a tutor or just use the space to work. All topics will be covered and no appointment is necessary. Be sure to take advantage of this great resource.
Senior portrait specifications for other Photographers: Size—no less than 300 dpi. Pose—only traditional full color portrait, head and shoulders only. Background—must be on the spectrum from cobalt to navy blue (no light blue). No hats, props, hands or inappropriate clothing. Submit your photograph electronically by email attachment to: email@example.com or on a CD. Under no circumstances will a senior portrait be scanned from a print. Any questions, see Mr. Fodor, room A114. (Photographers commonly used: Ripcho, Venditti, New Direction, Palmieri and Slezak). Deadline is Sunday, January 31, 2021 (*corrected)
Link is on the KHS Website. Yearbook’s start at $75.00
January 26, 2021 – Report cards posted to Infinite Campus
January 27, 2021 – Homeroom #1
January 28, 2021 – KHS Virtual Open House
2/2 – Groundhog Day
2/12 – Lincoln’s Birthday
2/14 – Valentine’s Day
2/15 – President’s Day – No School
2/17 – Ash Wednesday
Attention All Students: Each year, Kenston High School awards students for the President’s Award for Educational Excellence. In order to qualify, students must have a 3.5 cumulative UNWEIGHTED GPA and Community Service hours submitted and on file by March 19, 2021 in order to receive the President’s Award for Educational Excellence Certificate, sponsored by the KHS Academic Boosters. Required Service Hours: Freshman 25 hours; Sophomores 50 hours; Juniors 75 hours and Seniors 100 hours.
Local Scholarships are starting to come in more frequently. Keep checking in Guidance, on the Guidance webpage or the written daily announcements on the student webpage!
- MIT offers a summer online science technology and engineering program for current juniors. The deadline to apply is fast approaching. Apply by Feb. 1 at mit.edu.
- SENIORS – The Chagrin Valley Woman’s Club Scholarship – $1,500 for seniors (boy or girl) in area high schools. Criteria includes need, grades, community service and work experience. Requires an essay, two letters of recommendation and an official transcript. Complete application must be submitted in triplicate and turned into the Guidance Office no later than noon on Friday, March 5. Applications are in Guidance and on the Guidance webpage.
- KHS Academic Boosters Scholarship is open to seniors with a 3.5 or higher GPA, ACT of 25 or higher or SAT of 1200 or higher (critical reading and math), and they must be active in a KHS academic club or society. Applications in Guidance. Deadline March 19, 2021.
- YOUNG AMERICAN CREATIVE PATRIOTIC ART CONTEST SCHOLARSHIP For GRADES 9-12.
Win a top prize of $31,500 scholarship. Rules, eligibility and application are in Guidance or download at https://www.vfw.org/community/youth-and-education/youth-scholarships. Must be returned to Chardon VFW before March 31, 2021.
- The City Club of Cleveland hosts the 2021 Free Speech Essay Contest for all students. Win up to $1,000 for a 500-word essay on the role of free speech. Deadline is March 31. See Guidance for details.
- Seniors – the Bainbridge Police Department scholarship is available in Guidance. Two $1,500 scholarships will be given. Details on the application. Deadline April 7, 2021.
- Americans of Italian Heritage will award four $2,000 scholarships. At least one parent of the applicant must be of Italian descent. Details and application can be found at aihclub.club.com Deadline is May 17, 2021.
- FOR JUNIOR STUDENTS: The Positive Coaching Alliance’s Triple-Impact Competitor Scholarship program awards over 100 scholarships of at least $1,000 for JUNIOR student-athletes. See Guidance for details and apply online by May 31, 2021.
2021 Reynolds Young Writers Residential Workshop – June 20-27, 2021. Applications begin online 1/6/21-3/7/21. Rising high school juniors and seniors attend this 8-day residential creative writing program at Denison University in Granville (25 miles east of Columbus). For more information visit Reynolds.denison.edu for more information.
Important Cap & Gown Information: In School Date: October 2, 2020
Mail Order: Jostens Service Center, PO Box 512, Owatonna, MN 55060
NOTE: Final Deadline for all Kenston orders is Monday, December 14, 2020.
Orders after this date will incur late charges!!!
- PSAT Test (11th grade only) – Wednesday, October 14, 2020 (Registration deadline 9/8/20)
- SAT Test (12th grade only) – Wednesday, October 14, 2020 (Registration deadline 9/8/20)
- January 14th – Final Exams/Modified Schedule
- January 15th – Final Exams/Modified Schedule
- March 3rd – SAT Test (all 11th grade)
- May 3-14th – AP Testing
College Financial Aid – Lake/Geauga Educational Assistance Foundation (LEAF) is a non-profit organization that provides guidance on college financial aid. Kenston’s LEAF advisor is Mrs. Renee Morgan and is available for virtual student/family meetings regarding the FAFSA, the CSS profile, scholarships, loans and college application and funding information. Mrs. Morgan will host a virtual presentation on financial aid this month for all junior and senior families. Topics will include how your current financial situation can affect selecting a college and a timeline of the financial aid process. A link to the video will be sent in the near future. To arrange an individual appointment during the day or in the evening, please contact Mrs. Morgan directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEAF’s Virtual Information Sessions for the year have been posted on the Guidance webpage – all Kenston families are welcome to register. The upcoming session is:
➤Freshman/Sophomores: Prepare for the College Process on Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. Underclassmen, it’s great to be proactive about the college search! Learn what high-school freshmen and sophomores can do to prepare for college. Get tips on how to make the most of virtual visits and online information sessions. Learn how to take a few steps each month between now and next year.
In swimming and diving news, Clay Foster broke both the school records for diving this past week! To achieve this goal, he scored the highest in Kenston History for a 6 dive meet and an 11 dive meet!
|KENSTON HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY FAMILY DINNER NIGHT FUNDRAISER
FEBRUARY 5TH AND 6TH – PICK UP 4PM–5PM–6PM
MEAL – FEEDS A FAMILY OF 4 FOR $35.00
INCLUDES 1 LB. PULLED BBQ PORK AND 1 LB. PULLED BBQ CHICKEN
COWBOY FRIES, COLE SLAW, BBQ BEANS, HALF –EARS COR
4 COWBOY BRIOCHE BUNS AND 4 CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
SUPER BOWL SQUARES AS WELL AS OTHER RAFFLES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE PRIOR OR BOTH DAYS AT PICK-UP!
CALL in your order to COWBOY AT
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1ST BEFORE 5:00 P.M.
Good Luck to the following teams as they play tonight:
- Practices scheduled for today!
Need a job? New positions posted! Check out our JOB BOARD. Employers post jobs here because they want YOU! Go to the KHS website, type in “job board” in the search box, or stop by the job board across from Guidance.
LOST & FOUND ITEMS: Please stop by the Main Office if you have lost something or if you have found something that someone has lost. Items not claimed in a few days will be placed in the Lost & Found bin in the Cafeteria.