CAFÉ MENÚ: Taco, Rice, Queso and Corn Salsa
DAILY: Big Daddy’s Pizza • Chicken Sandwiches (Regular and Spicy) • Variety of Wraps (Turkey, Ham, Spicy Chicken, Chicken or Veggie) • Variety of Fruit and Veggies
Congratulations to the First Quarter Honor Roll Students! Keep up the good work.
Speech & Debate News: Congratulations to Ella Jewell who placed first in Lincoln-Douglas Debate at the Mentor tournament. Debating whether there ought to be a national job guarantee and earning the sixth seed after the preliminary rounds, Ella defeated opponents from Hawken, North Carolina, and Beavercreek in quarters, semis and finals to become the tournament champion. Also congratulations to Samantha Stephens who placed fourth in Congressional Debate and to Max Yost who competed in his first tournament, also in Congressional Debate.
A few quick reminders:
● With the Covid numbers increasing in Geauga County and surrounding communities, please do your part – wear your mask properly and wash your hands frequently. Make taking your temperature daily a part of your morning routine before coming to school.
● The 2021 Aerial Photograph schedule is posted on the window of the Hub.
Email Mr. Fodor if you have a conflict.
● Design the Janus Cover for Kenston’s literary & art magazine. Possible theme ideas are “Medieval”, “Gothic”, or “Fairy Tale.” Entries are due by December 11th. Winner will receive a $75 gift card. See Mr. Marchesi for entry details.
● There will be no Math Madness THIS week due to Thanksgiving.
● NHS is sponsoring a Food Drive for University Hospitals now into December. 1st Block classes will compete for the highest number of items! Winners will receive $5.00 gift cards from Dunkin! UH Hospitals has specific foods in need: canned items such as beans, pasta sauce, fruits, juices, and vegetables. You may also bring in jars of peanut butter, boxes of cereal, whole grain rice and pasta. Always remember that Bombers Fly Together especially in times of need. Be a part of this school Wide Food Drive!
● Attention creative writers and artists! Janus, Kenston’s literary & art magazine, is now accepting entries for our 2021 book. All genres of writing and art are eligible. Entries are due by December 14. Please see Mr. Marchesi in room A119 for details.
Do you want to be able to read announcements just like this one you are hearing right now? If so, see Mr. Novak in The Hub, formerly known as the library.
Is open for business! Stop in The Hub every Monday through Thursday after school from 2:20 to 3:20 to meet with a tutor or just use the space to work. All topics will be covered and no appointment is necessary. Be sure to take advantage of this great resource!
Senior portrait specifications for other Photographers: Size—no less than 300 dpi. Pose—only traditional full color portrait, head and shoulders only. Background—must be on the spectrum from cobalt to navy blue (no light blue). No hats, props, hands or inappropriate clothing. Submit your photograph electronically by email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org or on a CD. Under no circumstances will a senior portrait be scanned from a print. Any questions, see Mr. Fodor, room A114. Deadline is Sunday, January 31, 2021 (*corrected)
Link is on the KHS Website. Yearbook’s start at $65.00
Lakeland Virtual Open House – Friday, December 4 @ 10:00 a.m.
● Hear from Lakeland’s president and learn about our programs of study from our academic deans.
● Learn about the steps to admission and applying for financial aid and scholarships.
● Discover our honors program and options for transferring credits toward a bachelor’s degree either on a four-year college campus or through Lakeland’s Holden University Center.
● Explore our many student activities and opportunities for campus involvement, and hear directly from a panel of current Lakeland students.
Registration is required. Contact 440-525-7900 or email email@example.com.
● YOUNG AMERICAN CREATIVE PATRIOTIC ART CONTEST SCHOLARSHIP For GRADES 9-12.
Win a top prize of $31,500 scholarship. Rules, eligibility and application are in Guidance or download at https://www.vfw.org/community/youth-and-education/youth-scholarships. Must be returned to Chardon VFW before March 31, 2021.
Important Cap & Gown Information: In School Date: October 2, 2020
Mail Order: Jostens Service Center, PO Box 512, Owatonna, MN 55060
NOTE: Final Deadline for all Kenston orders is Monday, December 14, 2020.
Orders after this date will incur late charges!!!
● SAT Test (all 11th grade) – March, 2021
● AP Testing – May 3-14, 2021
College Financial Aid – Lake/Geauga Educational Assistance Foundation (LEAF) is a non-profit organization that provides guidance on college financial aid. Kenston’s LEAF advisor is Mrs. Renee Morgan and is available for virtual student/family meetings regarding the FAFSA, the CSS profile, scholarships, loans and college application and funding information. Mrs. Morgan will host a virtual presentation on financial aid this month for all junior and senior families. Topics will include how your current financial situation can affect selecting a college and a timeline of the financial aid process. A link to the video will be sent in the near future. To arrange an individual appointment during the day or in the evening, please contact Mrs. Morgan directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEAF’s Virtual Information Sessions for the year have been posted on the Guidance webpage – all Kenston families are welcome to register.
Attention Juniors – LEAF Resource Center is offering an Information Session on Wednesday, December 2 @ 6:30 p.m. titled Navigating Free Tools for SAT/ACT Test Prep. Discover free online preparation tools for both ACT and SAT tests. Learn about common testing timelines and about methods to build vocabulary. Acquire test stress tips and websites for free online practice tests with instant feedback. Sessions are free, but reservations are required for Google Meet. Register at leaf-ohio.org/resource-center-sessions/ or call the LEAF Office at 440-525-7095.
Boys Lacrosse will have a Virtual New Player Information Night on Monday, November 30th @ 7:00 p.m.
Winter Athletic Pictures:
– November 12th – (on-line password 1350KHSS4)
○ Boys/Girls Swim & Dive
○ Girls Basketball
– Friday, November 20th – (on-line password 1350KHSS6)
● TODAY, November 24th (on-line password 1350KHSS4)
○ Boys Basketball
Need a job? New positions posted! Check out our JOB BOARD. Employers post jobs here because they want YOU! Go to the KHS website, type in “job board” in the search box, or stop by the job board across from Guidance.
LOST & FOUND ITEMS:
Please stop by the Main Office if you have lost something or if you have found something that someone has lost. Items not claimed in a few days will be placed in the Lost & Found bin in the Cafeteria.